By now, you have probably heard of a new product called Delta-8 THC or simply Delta-8. If you haven’t started taking Delta-8, it’s a good idea to read this simple guide before starting the journey with this minor cannabinoid from Industrial Hemp.
If you have not heard about it, here’s a quick recap. Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol or simply Delta-8 THC is a cannabis compound that has gained popularity because of its similarities to Delta-9 THC. Delta-9 is a psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant which leads to intoxication or a high but also has additional benefits such as euphoria, happiness, sedation, pain relief, and more.
Delta-8 THC has some of the intoxication impact of Delta-9 when the Delta-8 is in sufficient doses.
Delta-8 is chemically produced from CBD which allows it to be part of a “legal loophole” for Cannabis producers: It’s a legal “High” from CBD. However, what seems to be a majority of people seeking Delta-8 are eager to address other health concerns other than the High.
Although Delta-8 is similar to Delta-9 in effects, it does offer benefits you may wish to examine. One example often cited is that some health conditions may warrant a higher strength (total milligrams) of THC (in the overall ratio) to your CBD product. However, if you live in a state where medical and/or recreational marijuana is illegal then you can only purchase CBD products. Since CBD is derived from Industrial Hemp (Cannabis Sativa) with a a legal allowable maximum of 0.3% Delta-9 THC, it makes leveraging more THC for pain relief difficult.
Here is a quick comparison chart of Delta-9 and the Delta-8:
Psychoactive, produces a high feeling
Helps alleviate pain
Helps with Insomnia
Reduces anxiety, depression, PTSD
Can be used recreationally
Less psychoactive, more clear headed
Helps alleviate pain
Helps with Insomnia
Reduces anxiety, depression, PTSD
Can be used recreationally in higher doses
Now it is easier to see that if you are looking for relief from a symptom such as pain, anxiety, or looking for a sleep aid or perhaps you want the more recreational effects, then Delta-8 may be your answer. Plus, it’s Legal (at least in most States).
What Are The Options For Taking Delta-8?
Delta-8 is available in most forms other cannabis product, from edibles, vape, tinctures, capsules, topicals, to smokable flower/bud. It’s all a matter of preference. There are differences in the time it takes to take effect and overall experience depending on how you take the product. Below is a list with a variety of ways to take Delta-8, how long the effects last, and what symptoms to expect:
- Vape – Since vaping offers a faster route to the bloodstream for the cannabinoids, vaping Delta-8 offers a more immediate sensation that can be more relaxing or uplifting depending on the terpenes that are used in the product. The terpenes often combined with the Delta-8 extract determine the overall experience of the Delta-8 high. For example a Sativa dominant strain for a daytime, happy, euphoric feeling; or, an Indica dominant strain for a more sedated feeling better suited for sleeping and “chilling out”; and, of course there is are hybrid strains of the two (Indica and Sativa) for the best of both worlds. If your product is not a terpene infused product, then you experience a nearly tasteless Indica-leaning high, that makes you feel relaxed (nearly a sedated state of mind.)
For this reason vaping offers more variety in how Delta-8 is experienced and depending on the strength of the oil one can expect 1 to 8 puffs needed to get the full experience of the Delta-8. This experience off of a single puff session can last 1-3 hours before another session is needed.
- Smoking – Smoking Delta-8 treated flower is also fairly immediate in its impact. With it, one can reach a point of the Delta-8 high fairly well, depending on the strength of the Delta-8 (typically 100mg of Delta-8 to the gram). This experience can last 1-3 hours as well before another smoke session is needed. Note: Delta-8 Shisha is also available for those who enjoy Hookahs for smoking.
- Edibles – A very common and fun way to enjoy Delta-8. Edibles come in many variations such as gummies, cookies, brownies, drinks, chips, and more. We’ve seen edibles take very interesting forms beyond the standard fare of gummies, chocolates, and similar. Cupcakes and Doughnuts with Delta-8 have been made with tasty effectiveness. Edibles can take 1 to 2 hrs before the cannabis intoxication is felt but the feeling will tend to last a little longer (from 3-6 hrs) depending on how much Delta-8 is consumed. If you want a stronger impact, it helps to eat a little something prior to ingesting Delta-8 as food helps to activate digestive enzymes that will better absorb and process the Delta-8. Eating saturated fats allows for the Delta-8 experience to be prolonged in one’s system as the THC often uses these fats (lipids) for transportation.
- Capsules – For people who prefer to have the impact and health benefits of Delta-8 THC but do not wish to add calories or take drops from a tincture, the capsules work well. Most are 25mg with higher available. Since the 25mg strength is average among most Delta-8 capsules, this makes it easier for the average person to enjoy a single capsule about an hour before retiring for sleep to allow for the calming effects to evolve.
- Tinctures – These provide a great way to fairly accurately dose your Delta-8. Tinctures can also kick in a little faster at between 30 minutes to 1.5 hours. The duration of experience is similar to that of edibles at 3 to 6 hrs.
- Nano Water Soluble – This is a new way of encapsulating the Delta-8 within a nano-sized lipid droplet and suspending it in a water-soluble liquid. When Delta-8 is nano enhanced, it enters your bloodstream much faster. These products are often found in edible, supplement or drink variation and can be felt faster than some other methods (about 10 to 30 min. after taking the product). Duration would be between 2-5 hours depending on the strength of product.
How Much Delta-8 THC Should I Take?
This really depends on the a number of conditions such as: One’s tolerance level, body size, metabolic rate, and whether you’ve experienced Delta-9 or one of its isomers before.
Taking Delta-8 Edibles
Everyone’s body is different. If one is new and completely inexperienced with THC then 5mg to 10mg of Delta-8 is a good starter does for symptom relief from discomforts associated with pain or sleeplessness with a minimized high effects. We have found that, with most people, 10mg and up will have some form of intoxicating effect that increases with dosage. We have anecdotal accounts from people who find that a good therapeutic dose for better sleep to be in the range of 20 to 30mg. It’s important to experiment when first taking Delta-8 and using caution. We recommend to every new Delta-8 customer that they start “low and slow” with the dosing. This would apply to capsules, edibles, vapes, tinctures and nano water soluble products as well.
If you are buying a Delta-8 vape tank: There is supposed to be air at the top of the tank. When the cartridge is made, the oil is poured to the top of the glass tank and capped quickly to prevent leaking. Over time the oil gradually soaks into the coil area creating space at the top of the tank. This can be as much as 40% of the total amount, which can make tanks appear partly unfilled while actually containing a full amount of product.
Delta-8 vaping cartridges and oils will vary in volume and strength. Some cartridges are .5ml while the typical cart (short for cartridge) will be 1ml in size (total volume). This allows for carts to range from a low strength of 400mg to a high strength of 1000mg in a 1ml cart. Most higher quality vape carts will have added terpenes to create the Sativa/Hybrid/Indica lean in the cartridge. The added terpenes also reduce the amount of Delta-8 in the cart but increase the beneficial impact due to the added natural terpenes. Depending on the strength will determine how many puffs you need to feel the desired effects. If terpenes are involved these will determine the flavor, smell and feeling profile of the Delta 8. We recommend that you start with one puff and gradually another as needed but allow 30 seconds to a minute to pass before taking additional hits.
Same as with vaping, strengths will vary based upon the product, but simply start with a single inhale and wait for cannabinoids to impact (this can take up to a few minutes). Proceed to take additional hits if needed.
In our experience working with thousands of customers, we have learned that a education is important to build a better health experience. This is why we elevate our education for customers. Whether you are looking to alleviate a symptom or to just relax and enjoy the recreational effects of Delta-8 THC, there are various ways to enjoy it effectively and responsibly.
Now that you have a basic understanding of Delta-8 and its forms, let us cover some key aspects in mind with Delta-8
It often goes without saying, but it’s a good idea to not use the products without the guidance of a medical professional. With any cannabis product, there are some direct effects which may occur and people who are sensitive to these effects may experience adverse events. For example, Delta-8 THC products may affect blood pressure, heart rate, and/or intraocular pressure in some people. In these case, if you have any known or unknown heart, blood pressure, eye, eye pressure, or similar/related issues, it is best to not use the product unless recommended by a doctor.
When the dosage is large enough, most Delta 8-THC products become intoxicating to most people. This is why it is a good idea to not drive or operate any machinery while using Delta-8 if you are under its influence. Plus, we always recommend that anyone taking Delta-8 for the first time, do so when you are in a comfortable location, preferably with a trusted companion. This will help in case there is an feeling of paranoia (rare, but it does happen for some people).